So finally you found out!
The Cobra SPX 7800 BT is one of the most effective radar detectors in the market and one of the very few with Smartphone connectivity.
- A radar detector on long drives makes the drive relaxing and refreshing too.
- A good quality radar detector like the cobra SPX 7800BT comes loaded with technology that can protect you from speeding tickets and in the process from the dangers of over speeding too.
- The goodness doesn’t end here; the Cobra SPX 7800 BT is really sleek and compact. In fact it is the smallest radar detector model in the market with features that match any advanced radar detector.
To know about the best features and the not so great ones of the Cobra SPX 7800BT read on.
The highs of the Cobra SPX 7800BT – Review
When you want nothing but the best then you should consider the Cobra because it uses the latest technology and military grade components for its Cobra Electronics SPX 7800BT. Don’t be deceived by its looks; it is small but packed with great power. It probably has the best laser detection capacity in models in that price range.
- Well designed: The Cobra SPX 7800BT is well designed. The top mounted buttons make the device a breeze to use; you can’t be meddling with the device while driving on the highway or in chaotic city traffic.
- Super fast Sweep: The super-fast sweep circuitry enables it to cover a wide range of signals and from a greater distance than most of the other detectors.
- 15-band detection: The radar guns in US operate only on three radar frequencies – X-band, K-band and Ka-band. The Cobra SPX 7800BT can detect all the three types. In fact to be exact the cobra detects seven radar signals, six types of laser guns and two types of safety systems.
- Voice alerts: It is not possible to look at the screen when you are driving. Hence the presence of voice alerts is a relief to the driver. Unlike other voice alerts, the Cobra SPX 7800BT’s Voice alerts are not lost in radio and other background noise but are clear and intelligible.
- Smartphone connectivity: The highlight of the device is its Smartphone connectivity. By downloading the cobra iRadar app you can get in touch with other users. This is a matter of great convenience because through this network you can receive frequent alerts on the speed traps, speed cameras, red light cameras and any enforcement near you.
- Bluetooth presence: Some detectors can transfer the information directly to your phone via the Bluetooth. This helps the community of cobra users to create an interactive map and warn each other of the various speed traps, camera locations and laser guns.
- Can detect POP Radar Guns: The Cobra SPX 7800 BT are adept at detect the POP Mode radar guns commonly used by police. These POP Mode radar guns use a radar technology that masks the police radars from the commercial radar detectors in the market. This way they can grab the offenders without alerting them.
The lows of SPX 7800BT
Sadly, the boon becomes the bane in the case of the Cobra SPX 7800BT where the reliance on the Smartphone is also one of its biggest drawbacks.
- Lack of built-in GPS: The lack of built-in GPS makes all the related features to be dependent on your phone’s cellular signal. Thus if you are away from cell signals, your alerts may not be accurate. That is not all, if your phone hangs or its processor is slow the alerts won’t reach on time and the purpose of having a radar detector is defeated.
- Less sensitive: Another con for the Cobra SPX 7800BT is its less sensitivity to the X and K band range when compared to other detectors. But at the same time it’s city mode helps quiet down these two bands to false alarms.
- Bluetooth connectivity: There are also issues with Bluetooth connectivity wherein the either the connectivity disappears altogether or it is very patchy hindering the performance of the radar detector.
- Glitches in the cobra iRadar app: The poor performance of the app too hinders the performance of the device.
When compared with rivals why is the Cobra SPX 7800BT better
Smartphone connectivity: Smartphone connectivity is its biggest advantage. With cellular signals becoming powerful by the day, the chances of been out of reach are few and far in between.
Thus the phone connectivity ensures that you are always aware of all enforcements in your vicinity and can adjust your driving accordingly. Even if the phone doesn’t work, the Cobra SPX 7800BT remains a good radar detector; though the alerts won’t keep coming.
- Cobra iRadar app: The cobra iRadar app is free so you do not shell out any extra money to utilize the gadget to its optimum.
It has the following features which make using the cobra SPX7800BT simple:
- The live traffic Data Integration feature which provides real time traffic news enabling users to avoid congested routes.
- Get directions feature aids the user to map the best route to the destination when you enter the address. As a result you do not need any other navigation map or app.
- Coverage Map view provides information on isolated spots and alerts in a larger area.
Intellimute: Next when you consider the Intellimute feature will mute alerts when you slow down thereby reducing any irritating alerts. Again you can tailor the device to suit your requirements.
Color LED display: The color LED display in the cobra SPX 7800BT is a major advantage this device has over its rivals. The screen has high resolution and is easier to read when compared to the single color displays. With most of the radar detectors, the display is not visible in sunny conditions but with the Cobra SPX 7800BT there is no such issue; the display is easily visible irrespective of the lighting.
The Cobra SPX 7800BT is one of the best radar detectors from Cobra. It is well suited for highway driving. It is a very user friendly, high performing device which will stand the test of time. It provides accurate and early warning every time and gives you time to adjust your driving speed.
- Coming to the innumerable criticisms about the Cobra, you must accept the fact there is no model that is 100% efficient. At the price the Cobra SPX 7800BT is available it performs at par with the more expensive models in the market.
Regarding the false alerts, almost all radar detectors are plagued by this drawback. The cobra in fact is better adapted to handle the false alerts. By adjusting the sensitivity of the device you can counter this issue to a certain extent. Some radar detectors come with digital signal processing that learns to differentiate between real and false alerts.
- An important point to note here is that you should not at any time assume that any radar detector will protect you completely from speeding tickets. The law enforcement officers have other methods of tracking your speeds besides using laser guns and speed traps.
- Over speeding is dangerous even though thrilling and must be avoided at all times because you are equally responsible for the safety of your fellow commuters. Do not make a radar detector an excuse to break law.
By using radar detectors like the Cobra SPX 7800BT you can ensure that you drive safely and also save money in the process. In fact a common feeling among many users is that the cobra actually redeems its worth in a couple of months.
Our recommendation of the Top 5 best radars can be found HERE